A Clean and Green Future
Nick is proud to serve on the Council that adopted the City-County Climate Action Plan, committed to 100% renewable energy by 2050, and is a national leader in sustainability. Based on his environmental leadership, he has earned the endorsements of the Oregon League of Conservation Voters and Sierra Club.
- Nick supported landmark legislation to limit fossil fuel infrastructure and oil train transport.
- Nick is protecting urban natural areas like Riverview and Crystal Springs Creek, and bringing salmon back to our urban watersheds.
- Nick supported the city joining a national lawsuit against Monsanto to hold them accountable for PCBs in the Portland Harbor.
- Nick is committed to permanently protecting West Hayden Island from development.
- Nick championed "Poop to Power," converting methane gas from the City’s sewage treatment plant into renewable natural gas.
- Nick supported "Banning the Bag" – removing millions of plastic bags from the waste stream every year.
- Nick is a strong supporter of protecting our urban wetlands and wildlife, advocating for a "no-wake zone" in the Ross Island Lagoon and in Holgate Channel.
- Nick partners with community groups like Depave, Friends of Johnson Creek, Tryon Creek Watershed Council, and Verde to enhance and protect our watersheds.
- Nick has promoted green infrastructure - like bioswales - to treat wastewater in an eco-friendly way and save ratepayers money.