Reforming Our Utilities
Nick leads Portland's two public utilities - the City's Bureau of Environmental Services and Water Bureau. He has been working hard to restore trust with ratepayers, to stabilize rates, and to deliver basic services at a fair price.
- Nick is prioritizing basic services to fix our aging pipes and keep our systems reliable.
- Nick is working to expand financial assistance to help renters, families, and older adults afford their utility bills.
- Nick is working with community partners like Friends of Trees to expand our urban tree canopy.
- Nick is helping Portland prepare for a major earthquake – the "Big One" – by burying our reservoirs and building a new, secure water pipe under the Willamette River.
- Nick gave ratepayers a stronger voice by establishing the Portland Utility Board and forging a one-of-a-kind partnership with the Citizens' Utility Board of Oregon.
- Nick led the campaign to prevent the hostile takeover of our public utilities by big polluters in 2014.